Monday, December 05, 2005

Marooned by ice :-(

I got trapped in my flat yesterday. Well, not entirely, but pretty much...

I tried to walk out onto the landing and down the steps. It only took about half a second to stop myself from having a very nasty accident worthy of a lawsuit, hahaha. (No "Accident Compensation Corporation" here. Slip and fall equals lawsuit. :-)

Anyway, there are people who roam the streets around these parts, de-icing anything and everything. It is their job. It is what they do.

Except, they seem to have forgotton MY place this weekend. Ugh. I can't even begin to describe the level of icicle overhang I looked at ... from my front door ... and the very first step resulted in a slip. So I was not exactly prepared to risk the stairwell!

But I had to take the rubbish out. It was overflowing beyond the realms of reasonable, so my ONLY option was to pour tonnes of hot water all down the landing and the stairs, gingerly descend grasping the (slippery and frozen) handrail, creep to the rubbish bin, then hurtle my way back upstairs as soon as possible in order to make it indoors before the hot water solidified again!

Trapping myself outside in sub-zero temperatures without anymore access to hot water? That would have been V-E-R-Y unfortunate, I say....

6 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from someone into his third winter in the cold climes of the far north: Buy a bag of salt. Immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect $500.

It keeps the traction levels up and the stress on the steps levels down. :-)

Cheers you, AT

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Katrina said...

Heh, thanks! :-)

(In the meantime, maybe I'll just hijack a salt truck? Hahaha.)

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or just buy a bag of salt from the corner shop. It's in a bag that says road salt or something similar. Hugs kisses and sarcasm... AT

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

That's what it says on the bag?! Wow!! Good to know. ;-)

...I hereby inform those that actually read this stuff and care (hehe!) that my steps are now suitably salty, wheeeee! :-D

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina,

Glad you didn`t break anything....what I`m really interested in is what do those guys do all day in the summer when there`s no ice and snow?!
About time you came home to some sunshine anyway!
Michele x

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

Hi Michele,

Well, to be honest, I am not sure what they do in the summer?! Except maybe they are the same guys as I see tending the flowers and lakes and garden patches in the Park?? Hmmmm... not sure. Anyway, some summer sun is on its way for me, just as soon as I can get all these bloody Law Finals finished, aaaaaargh! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home