Friday, December 16, 2005

Yearly Revision

I'm finally done with the majority of my year's papers now (thank GOD!!!) and just five more days left in the States before I begin my trek back to New Zealand.

Even just typing that makes me feel dizzy. Call me crazy, but I totally love it here and I don't actually want to leave ... it's just that small pesky issue of an expired visa and the lack of a green card. Pfft.

Anyway ... I can't even begin to sum up what this year has been like for me. Maybe that's because it is 2.30 in the morning as I type this, haha. But seriously, how do I describe what I've gone through this year??? Impossible.

I'm almost crying as I type. It is very hard to spend a year day-in and day-out in a city and NOT make some incredibly super friends, experience changes in your outlook on things, and just generally be thrilled at having SURVIVED THE CRAZY RIDE!!!

I have seen some true extremes in poverty and riches here. Cincinnati is a city that almost haunts me. Having spent a year working downtown at the Courthouse, it is hard to forget the faces of the prisoners tapping at the doors of their cell as you walk past. I leave work with mixed feelings most days. Both a sense of justice and futility. Well, more often futility. It is a fine line between the two sometimes...

I have a much stronger sense now of the advocacy work I want to pursue though. So, thank you Courthouse, hehehe.

And as for the Law School?? Well, that was a ride in itself. Nothing like Law School in New Zealand, that's for sure. I would never consider any of my professors at home my "friends", but here? Yes. I won't name any names, hehe, but I actually consider a couple of them to be my friend. One of them will be in NZ next May and we have organised the havoc we are going to wreak on the city already when we "hang out", hahahahaha!

I now have a million goodbye parties to attend, as well as a trip to Canada to fit in. Must remember my camera. :-)

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Fran said...

Who's the Prof? I'm curious! Can I join in? Also - there's always a marriage of convenience...!

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, come on. some details other than name are allowed surely....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home